Biblical Perspective on Marriage, Gender, and Sexuality
- We believe that God wonderfully and fearfully creates each person, male or female. These two distinct, complementary genders together reflect the image and nature of God. (Gen 1:26-27.) Rejection of one’s biological sex is a rejection of the image of God within that person. To put it in historical philosophical terms, we believe essence (God’s purposes) precedes and defines existence (the life we were meant to live).
- We believe that the term “marriage” has only one meaning: the uniting of one man and one woman in a single, exclusive union, as delineated in Scripture. (Gen 2:18-25.) We believe that God intends sexual intimacy to occur only between a man and a woman who are married to each other. (1 Cor 6:18; 7:2-5; Heb 13:4.) We believe that God has commanded that no intimate sexual activity be engaged in outside of a marriage between a man and a woman.
- We believe that any form of sexual immorality (including adultery, fornication, homosexual behavior, bisexual conduct, bestiality, incest, and use of pornography) is sinful and offensive to God. (Matt 15:18-20; 1Cor 6:9-10.)
- We believe that in order to preserve the function and integrity of Asheville Christian Academy as a Christian ministry in partnership with the Christian home, and to provide a biblical role model in home, school and church to the Asheville Christian students and the community, it is imperative that all persons employed by Asheville Christian Academy in any capacity, or who serve as volunteers, agree to and abide by this Statement on Marriage, Gender, and Sexuality. Additionally, all families enrolled must be in agreement and abide by this Statement on Marriage, Gender, and Sexuality. (Matt 5:16; Phil 2:14-16; 1 Thess 5:22.) To permit otherwise contaminates the entire mission and purpose of Asheville Christian Academy.
- We believe that God offers redemption and restoration to all who confess and forsake their sin, seeking His mercy and forgiveness through Jesus Christ. (Acts 3:19-21; Rom 10:9-10; 1 Cor 6:9-11.) We hold up in prayer those who have deviated from these biblical principles.
- We believe that every person must be afforded compassion, love, kindness, respect, and dignity. (Mark 12:28-31; Luke 6:31.) Whether a person conforms to the standards set forth in God’s Word (as sited above) or not, we still hold forth all individuals as being created in the image of God (Gen. 1:27). Hateful and harassing behavior or attitudes directed toward any individual are to be repudiated and are not in accord with Scripture nor the doctrines held by Asheville Christian Academy (I Peter 3:15-16). Instead, we encourage open discourse under the authority and presuppositions of the Word of God as interpreted above.